Toddlers and preschoolers sleep 11-14 hours a days. About 12 hours at night and 1-2 hours nap during the day time. Toddlers are developing fast and hence there are a lot of changes in their sleep schedule. Many parents find it difficult to settle them for sleep. Here we are discussing few tips on how to make toddlers sleep well:
1. Stick to same bedtime:- Set a bedtime and stick to it. Don’t change it frequently. Don’t set a time which is too late. Going to bed at the same time daily will help your child to make it a habit.
2. Relax your child before 30-60 minutes of bedtime:- Dim the lights before 60 minutes of bedtime and take all the electronic devices away. Read them story or sing calm music for them.
3. Make room environment comfortable to sleep:- Make sure that room environment is cool, dark and comfortable for sleeping. A nightlight or area light on very lowest dimmer setting is fine.
4. Limited food and drink before bedtime:- Limit food and drink before bedtime, especially drinks containing caffeine. A light snack before bedtime is OK.
5. Leave the room when your child is in sleepy state:- Tuck your child into sleepy but awake state, this will help them to sleep by their own. If your child wakes up in the middle of the night, he/she can sleep independently.
6. Surround the child with items of comfort:- Surround your child with the items of comfort such as their favourite stuffed toy, soft blanket or any other object that will help them to sleep independently.